Thursday, October 1, 2009

One year in Perth today

Wow, we have been in Perth 1 year today, 1 October 2009. I can't believe how fast the year has gone.

Having been here a year it is a good time to reflect on the year that has been. The first few weeks here were really, really tough. We were totally shell shocked and really surprised at the culture difference between NZ and Perth. But after a year things are starting to seem normal for us now- even the odd shopping hours.

We are starting to get a good routine now and Perth is slowly starting to feel like home for us. Even the reasonably slow to come around Western Australians are starting to be a bit more friendly towards us.

I think that I initially underestimated the upheaval that comes with shifting countries and jobs all at once. Having had some time to reflect lately it is no wonder that I have really struggled with my training this year. Everything has seemed harder training wise than it used to be. Its no wonder though, doing on average 20 - 25 hours training a week by myself has taken a toll. But just recently I have managed to do a couple of training sessions with others (including a 170km ride/10km run/3km swim day) and it makes such a difference. I do miss the local triathlon hangout at Freyberg Pool in wellington still and all my training buddies.

Jason has started Water Polo again with the Melville Water Polo Club and he is really enjoying it. They play each Wednesday night. The club has its very own pool and after games there is always beer and a bbq. Its good to see Jason out and about.

We both miss family lots but have been lucky to see Jason's family in March, May and September and my family in June and September.

We both agree that the move has been the right one for us though. Jason's work opportunities have been broadened, my work is challenging and expanding my abilities, financially we are better off and the lifestyle here is great (even if they don't have shops open on weekends and public holidays and voted against daylight savings).

Interestingly enough if we had the time again we would have chosen different things to bring with us, but other than that we are happy with our decisions to date.

We are now on the cusp of our second hot season starting and hopefully this year we are better equipped for it... hmmm not sure I'll ever enjoy the 30 degree nights.

So that's about all for now. Till next time (I promise to be more regular in my posting).

No comments: