Monday, May 5, 2008

Weather

So just in the past week the temperature has dropped dramatically. On the weekend I went cycling and there was snow on the Orongaronga and Rimutaka ranges!!! My bike computer had the outside air temperature at just 9 degrees at one point!! The wind chill factor would have made it even colder as well. It makes it hard to get the legs moving when we are in these conditions I tell you!

So as you can imagine I am really looking forward to heading to rarotonga for a few days.... hmmm or am I? Just checked out the extended weather forecast for Raro and I have:

Wednesday- High: 30° C. Wind 36 km/h. Chance of precipitation 90%.

Thursday - High: 29° C. Wind 32 km/h. Chance of precipitation 40%.

Friday - High: 27° C. Wind 18 km/h.

Saturday (RACE DAY) - High: 28° C. Wind 18 km/h. Chance of precipitation 40%.

Sunday - High: 28° C. Wind 18 km/h. Chance of precipitation 40%.

Eeeekkkk I would love a nice balmy 23 - 24 degrees I think. racing in temperatures close to 30 degrees will be tough for me! At least I should get a bit of a tan :-)

In order to try and pre-acclimatise to the expected heat conditions in Raro I have been doing sauna sessions after each training session... building up to 30 min sessions without rehydration. That is a test of motivation to stay in the sauna I tell you. There are times when I am so ready to walk out. But it definitely helps. I did the sauna treatments before racing in honolulu and it really helped then.

Thats about all, my next update will be from Raro itself.

No comments: